Thursday, April 16, 2009

Four Day Pass and Rattlesnake Rodeo

I had such a fantastic time over Easter weekend. For those that didn't know, I was given a four day pass to go home from the 11th to the 14th. They were the shortest four days of my life! I did have an extra half day on Friday to travel, but my flights were so messed up that I didn't make it home until Saturday evening.
_____________________
To summarize, I got into Harrisburg Saturday evening, went to say a quick hello to the family and then back to my place. I took a much needed shower, ate some great Chinese food, and relaxed on my couch watching a movie with Ian. Sunday was full of lots of food, candy, laughing, running, jumping, playing, yelling, barking, more food, and of course wine. Monday was my day to sleep in and have the morning with Ian. We went to lunch to catch up with a few friends, then back to my parents house for more visiting. Monday flew by and Tuesday was soon rearing it's ugly head. I spent the morning having a nice breakfast with Ian then began packing and getting back in uniform. My flight left around 2:30pm. In case you are wondering my return flights were all on time and went very smooth. Of course! :)
_____________________
To many of you this may not sound very exciting, but I thought it was heaven. It felt like a fantastic dream that I knew I was going to wake from too quickly. To wake up in my own bed, eat real eggs, have no need for phone or e-mail, go into a bathroom made for one, and have the freedom to do or not do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, was amazing. If a weekend can feel that good I can only imagine what it will feel like to be home for two week on R&R.
_____________________
Yesterday we got a good dose of mandatory fun at the "26th Annual Apache Village Rattlesnake Rodeo!!!" The two video clips below are the best representation of the "rodeo." It was basically a carnival or fair, but with rattlesnakes as the main attraction. I had more fun than I was expecting. I was a little upset that the buses came to get us before I had a chance to go on any of the rides. We ate as much terrible food as we could stomach (funnel cakes, corn dogs, lemonade, cheese fries, root beer, milk shakes, fried oreos, and cotton candy) and got airbrushed tattoos that last for days. Mine is the "Dark Horse." That is my Company's nickname.
_____________________
WARNING: At the rattlesnake rodeo they teach you all about the rattlesnake! This includes how to kill, gut, skin, and cook it. The second video should not be watched by anyone that has a sensitive gag reflex.


P.S.
They sell every piece of the snake. Sorry mom, I didn't get to taste any because they do the cooking on a different day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment