Thursday, April 9, 2009

Q: How does the Army build up your confidence? A: They beat the shit out of you!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Confidence Course
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow


Last week our Commander took us all out for what we call mandatory fun. We took a trip to the Ft. Sill Confidence Course. I can't complain too much, I did have a good time. My upper body was in pain for two days, but I have recovered. The course had 20+ obstacles that we had to move through in teams or as individuals. Five of the obstacles were over 30 feet high. I did all of those at least once. The Slide For Freedom (which I do not have a photo of) was my favorite.

To begin the Slide you first climb a 15ft rope ladder, walk across a 20ft suspended log, and then climb a large ladder with over sized rungs to a platform. When you reach the top they hook you up to a zip line and you slide on a cable that is about 100ft long. It was my first obstacle of the day. If anyone has ever ridden with me on a roller coaster you know that when I am having a lot of fun I am very vocal about it. I let out a few very loud screams and shrieks that the whole place could hear. I could only see about twenty people while flying through the air, but they all turned my direction. It was a blast.

I also enjoyed Jacob's Ladder. It was very intimidating. It is a huge ladder that goes straight up about 50ft. The rungs of the ladder are made of huge logs. If I had to guess I would say that they are a little bigger than telephone poles. There were about six or seven rungs, and they were all spaced out at different heights. It was a challenge for shorter people to get over the logs that were far apart. At the top of the ladder you had to lay on your stomach and roll over to the opposite side before climbing back down. I thought coming down was much easier than going up.

I hope to collect a few more photos and maybe some video for you to see. I will post it as soon as I get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment