Sunday, March 29, 2009

Kittens, Inspired by Soldiers

When we first arrived one of my room mates showed me a funny video on You Tube. It was about kittens, inspired by kittens. For a couple of weeks we walked around saying, "We are eating pepper and chips," and "I'm her mom. No she's not!" And sometimes, "Bow-wow, chick-a-bow-wow." Then I found the poster that is in the above picture. It was duct taped to the door of a room, a room full of male soldiers. Above each picture of a kitten was a soldiers name. I took the photo and sent it to my room mate in a text titled Kittens Inspired By Soldiers.

To many outsiders it is sometimes hard to understand a soldier's sense of humor. Imagine being cut off from everything in your normal day-to-day life, and then imagine trying to have a good time (without any alcohol). We find very interesting ways to keep ourselves entertained. Ideas range from strange posters, to gluing a soldiers hand to his head gear (his hat), putting bubble wrap on the floor in front of a soldier's bed at night, so when they come into the room to go to sleep in sounds like a mini explosion under their feet, and even opening a soldier's full Camelbak (hydration bladder carried on your back like a back pack) before rollover training, so that water dumps out over everyone in the Humvee. These are the small things that keep us going.

I am beginning to collect some pictures of the different ways we make each other laugh. When I feel that the collection is more complete I will post the photos for you to see.

1 comment: