Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Little Piece of Quiet

Yesterday afternoon I went for a short hike, joined by another soldier from my company. Just to the north of our barracks are the Medicine Bluffs, and on the northern side of the bluffs is a small river. These bluffs (or hills) appear to be man made when you are to the south. But as you travel around the eastern edge of the small range you soon realise they rose from the earth hundreds of years ago.

The shear cliffs covered
in bright mosses, with trees clinging to exposed rock, are a strange sight to see in Oklahoma. The semi-stagnant, dwarfed river creeps along the base of the cliffs creating a very serene environment. With the exception of an occasional Air Force jet flying overhead, it is the quietest place I have found on post to date. It was refreshing to get away from everyone else and pretend, for one fleeting moment, to be free. If I hadn't been obligated to make it back by sundown I would have stayed for at least another hour. I am looking forward to a day when I can pack a lunch, a blanket, and a good book, and waste away a few hours.
_______________
I miss the mountains, hills, winding roads, and diverse vegetation of PA. Go outside today, and open your eyes.












2 comments:

  1. That's something different to think about. Its supposed to be really warm this weekend. My friend Samey is having a bonfire so I just might have to take your advice. I'll definitely have to get outside more now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very dramatic photos. I hope you do get a few hours of solitude there, soon.

    ReplyDelete