Saturday, March 28, 2009

Calm After the Storm

One afternoon it began to rain right when I was about to walk from our building over to the chow hall, which is about 300 feet away. It was pouring and didn't look like it would let up any time soon. So after a minute or two I decided I would make a run for it. As I opened the door and stepped out I noticed the dime sized hail that was now coming down. But it was too late, I had already committed myself to the run. So I took off. By the time I made it to the chow hall I was drenched from head to toe and my hands stung from the hail coming down. It was a sight to see. By the time I was done with dinner the rain and hail stopped and the sun was out again.

Upon exiting the building we saw a huge bright rainbow. Soon one rainbow turned into two. You could see the entire color spectrum. It was beautiful. And since Oklahoma is mostly flat you could see the beginning and end of both rainbows. We stayed outside for about fifteen minutes just staring at it. Soon our small crowd became larger. People were paralyzed by the sight of it. The word spread, and people started coming out of the barracks. To see a bunch of tough soldiers suddenly soften at the sight of a rainbow was unique. Almost all were taking pictures to text to friends and family. It was the nicest thing I have seen since arriving here. The picture above is one that I took with my phone, so it does not do it justice. To see the huge double arc in the sky was humbling.


Before I left home my grandmother told me that each day I should try to find something beautiful. On that day, unlike most, it was not a challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment